Pros & Cons Of Hiring Movers
In this article, we dive into some of the pros & cons of hiring movers. The day you find out that you are moving, is almost like the first day of school or work. You are motivated, you are determined, you are even super organized. According to your calculations, you probably even determined that you’ll be packed and ready to go at least a week before your moving date. Then reality sets in, and you realize things are probably going to be a bit more complicated than you thought.
Moving is seldom as easy and quick as we hope it to be. Not only will moving have you realize you’re basically a hoarder help, but no matter how many things you donate or throw out, more stuff keeps magically appearing. And how are you supposed to remember how to reassemble all your furniture and electronics anyway? On the other hand, don’t people move all the time? And what are friends and family for anyway, if it’s not for this very reason…to help us move once or twice in a lifetime?
We know that making the decision to hire (or not hire) movers can be challenging. That’s why we’ve come up with this list of pros and cons of hiring movers to help you look at your choices from different angles and help you make the best-informed decision possible. Keep reading to find out what works best for you.
Pros of hiring movers
Let’s start off with the good news. Hiring a professional moving company has several perks. When going this route, you are almost always guaranteed a much more stress-free move thanks to things like
Your safety. Let’s face it, the act of physically moving can be scary. Moving large pieces of furniture doesn’t seem like something you want to learn by trial and error. Nothing is more important than your health and personal safety, and hiring movers means you get to save yourself the trouble of a hurt back, bad knees, or bruised anything. Hiring a moving company means:
- Professionally trained movers do all the heavy lifting
- You save yourself the hassle of figuring out how to move furniture the hard way.
- They usually have a team that knows how to work together to make a move safe and efficient for everyone involved.
- They use professional techniques to ensure safety- such as using professional protective gear, using non-slip mats, and professional training.
Safety of your possessions. The second most important thing to keep safe during your move is, of course- your belongings. Professional movers know that you’re not just changing your address, you are uprooting your entire life, and your belongings are a big part of that. Hiring professional movers means:
- Your movers will pack your things using professional equipment that will help ensure your possessions make it from point A to point B as safely as possible.
- Not only are they trained, but they are experienced. Professional movers have moved things in and out of buildings dozens of times. Meaning that they can safely maneuver any couch out of any door.
- They have driving experience. When you’re moving (especially if you’re going out of state), there is more to your belongings’ safety than packing and loading. You also need to be able to drive a giant moving truck in any road condition, time and weather. Having a professional do it makes the drive so much easier.
Time. Time is the ultimate gift, and hiring a professional moving company gives you a lot of extra time to focus on bigger things about your move. If you tend to get easily overwhelmed, you’ll appreciate all the ways that a moving company can help you by:
- Helping you move quickly and efficiently. Professional movers have one job. And that is to get your things from one place to the other quickly and efficiently. They’re not dealing with personal calls or changes of address, or other family matters. All they have to do is move.your.things.
- Offering extra services. How lucky are we to live in a day and age where we can even have movers pack our things? Depending on the type of service you choose, movers can do everything short of buying your new home. If you genuinely want to avoid as much heavy lifting as possible during your move, hiring professional movers is the way to go.
- Driving. If you’ve ever been the driver in charge of a moving truck, you know the pain and responsibility is insanely draining. You have to be highly alert throughout the whole drive. Every bump feels like you’re on a roller coaster, and you basically have to forfeit your entire day (or even days). Save yourself the hassle and let a professional do it.
Cons of hiring movers
Of course, every rose has its thorn. Hiring movers is great in theory, but you should be aware of several things before deciding. Check out a few of the cons of hiring professional movers below:
Professional moving companies are expensive. There is just no getting around this one. If you are planning on hiring movers, you’re going to want to go with a reputable company, and that takes money. To fit movers into your budget, you’ll have to consider:
- A professional moving companies prices typically start in the thousands and depending on the size of your home, the drive, and specialties you need, the price will only get higher.
- Finding affordable companies is hard because they either get booked up quickly or are not entirely reputable. Finding one will take a lot of research.
- If you charge it to a credit card, it will be a high debt. Additionally, if you really don’t want to go into debt over it, you might need to start saving for it up to a year in advance.
You have to trust strangers. Trusting strangers with what is essentially your whole life is no easy task. You have to be willing to have a lot of faith in the company to hire professional movers. You’ll essentially have to trust them with the following things:
- You’ll have to trust them with your items
- You’ll have to trust that they will deliver your items to your new home
- You’ll have to trust them with any private belongings.
Giving up control. Under the umbrella of trust falls another form of faith that you’ll have to have on your moving company. You’ll essentially have to be ok with giving up a lot of control.
- You’ll have to be ok with letting them guide you on how to move.
- You’ll have to trust that they know the best way to make the move as seamless as possible.
- You’ll have to be flexible with the way your belongings are being packed. You can communicate important things to you, but by hiring movers, you essentially give up the right to “be particular” about your packing methods.
Hiring a professional moving company is a fantastic thing…but it comes with a price. Literally and figuratively. You’ll have to do a lot of research, and consider the pros & cons of hiring movers, and no doubt, you will have to make some sacrifices along the way. With that said, most people would agree that hiring a moving company was one of the best things they could have done for their mental health and furniture.